Congratulations on getting a Greggs Interview.
We all know interviews are stressful and competition is intense.
However, with a small amount of preparation, you can ace the Greggs Interview.
Here we will discuss how to successfully answer Greggs Interview Questions.
Greggs Interview Questions and Answers
Tell us about yourself?
Here’s the deal!
This is generally an icebreaker question but it is actually one of your best chances to sell yourself. Tell the interviewer how your past and present work experience will benefit Greggs if they hire you.
Remember this is not the time to tell your life story. If you don’t have any work experience, talk about any volunteer work you have done. If you don’t have any experience and are a student say you have been focusing on school and are anxious to prove yourself in the workforce.
Why do you want to work for Greggs?
Say you would be proud to work for a company that strives to fight obesity. In 2014, Greggs launched their balanced choice range which offers a choice of wraps, sandwiches, salads, soups, porridge, fruit, yoghurt and drinks, which are all less than 400 calories.
State you would also be proud to work for a company that gives so much back to the community through the Greggs Foundation. In 2016, the Greggs Foundation distributed over £2.8 million to community and charity organisations across the UK.
Finally mention you would be proud to work for a company that donates as much unsold food to charity as possible, including soup kitchens, food banks, and shelters for the homeless and vulnerable.
What hours can you work?
The more flexible you are with your hours, the better your chance of getting hired, so be flexible!
If possible, let the interviewer know you can work on weekends and/or holidays.
Why did you leave your last job?
- Interviewers ask this question for the following reasons
- Did you leave for a good reason?
- Did you leave voluntarily?
- Did you leave on good terms?
- What are your work values?
- Here is a sample response
“I enjoyed my last job at Company XYZ, however, I felt growth was minimal and I was no longer learning. I want to explore new challenges”.
What can you tell us about Greggs?
What is the biggest mistake you can make in an interview?
Not knowing enough about the company!
- Greggs is the largest pastry chain in the United Kingdom.
- Products include pastries, sausage rolls, sandwiches, doughnuts, and vanilla slices.
- They serve breakfast until 11 a.m.
- As of 2021, there are over 2,000 Greggs in the UK.
- They are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Greggs was first opened in 1951.
- John Greggs is the companies founder opened the first bakery in 1939.
- Greggs Moments are coffee shops that seat over 100 people. Recently, the Greggs said it would discontinue its attempt to enter the coffee market.
- Greggs best selling item is the sausage roll.
- Watch this video to see how Gregg’s has transformed itself into a food-on-the-go business and away from being just a bakery.
CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
How would you deal with an upset customer?
- Listen and let the customer vent.
- Show the customer you care.
- Don’t blame the customer or the company.
- Try to solve the problem or find someone who can.
- Don’t make promises you can’t keep.
- Finally, it is important not to take it personally. If you get upset you will take it on future customers.
How would you define excellent customer service?
- The customer is not waiting long for their order.
- Customers receive friendly service.
- The restaurant is clean both inside and outside.
- The product is made to order.
Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
Customers love when you go above and beyond for them which will, in turn, generate more business. Try and think of a time you went above and beyond for a customer. For example, when I was a server at a restaurant we did not have a particular dessert in the restaurant. Luckily the restaurant next door had it and I was able to get it for the customer.
Here’s another example: in my last job I worked at a fast-food chain. There was a senior citizen at the restaurant and he had finished his meal. It started to rain and he was worried, as he did not have an umbrella. Luckily, I had an umbrella, so I walked him to his car, sheltering him from the rain.
Why do you feel customer service is so important?
- Great customer service can
- Increase customer loyalty
- Grow the amount of money each customer spends per visit
- Increase how often a customer buys from you
- Generate positive word-of-mouth about your business
ADDITIONAL INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
What is your favourite Greggs Product?
Products include Sausage Rolls and doughnuts but also include healthier balanced choice items such as yoghurts and salads.
Why should I hire you?
To answer this question successfully you must reread the job description and reassure the interviewer you have the key skills and experience required to work at Greggs. Suppose you are on a Greggs Team Member Interview. The job description states Greggs Team Members are the face and voice of our organisation, engaging with our customers and offering a fantastic shopping experience no matter what time of day.
Join our family and you’ll be part of a team that loves to put the customer first in all that we do. This means a passion for delivering fast and friendly service, pride in preparing our much-loved products and keeping the shop clean and tidy; of course they’ll be time for some fun along the way.
You’ll fit right into the Greggs family if you’re not afraid of hard work and commitment. Some customer service experience always comes in handy although not essential.
To be able to:
Deliver a fast and friendly service to every customer consistently
Work as part of a team focused on delivering a fast and friendly customer experience
Achieve consistently high standards to meet customers’ expectations
Deliver relevant added-value to customers to increase sales
Support profit protection through effective cost control
So when asked this question state
You work well under pressure which will allow you to continue to offer fast and friendly service. State you have excellent teamwork skills which will help when working with fellow colleagues. Finally, say you pay great attention to detail which will allow you to make sure the customers’ expectations are met.
How often have you called in sick in your last job?
It is ok to call in sick from time to time, however, more than six days a year without a serious medical issue is a problem. Try and answer honestly but mention you always call in advance and try and find someone to take your shift.
How would you increase profits at Greggs?
- Ensure proper food rotation.
- Make sure the restaurant is clean.
- Make sure is inventory is well stocked and on display.
- Listen to the customer.
- Learn from past mistakes.
How do you feel about standing on your feet for long periods of time?
Most jobs in restaurants will require you to work on your feet for long periods of time. If possible tell the interviewer you do not have a problem with this. Try to wear comfortable, well-fitting shoes with low heels, maintain good posture, and stay hydrated.
QUESTIONS TO ASK AT THE END OF THE INTERVIEW
Do you have any questions for us?
Tip! Don’t be afraid to ask questions during the interview. Asking questions is important because it builds rapport between you and the interviewer.
What do you like best about working here?
How would you describe your ideal candidate for this position?
What about this position is the most important?
How would you measure my success and what could I do to succeed in your expectations?
Which part of the position has the steepest learning curve? What can I do in order to get up to speed quickly?
What opportunities will I have to learn and grow?
GREGGS INTERVIEW TIPS
Arrive 10 minutes early
Turn off your smartphone.
Learn as much as you can about the company.
Don’t speak too fast as you will sound nervous.
Don’t speak too slow as you will sound boring.
Make eye contact during the entire interview.